Agriculture 101 – an introduction to the sector for newcomers
Do you want to understand the agricultural sector? This unique one-day introduction provides an overview of the agri-food industry, the challenges it faces and the requirements for support. It is aimed at giving useful insights to those new to the sector and to players from other industries.
Agri-food production is a growing industry that offers opportunities for the application of technologies and services developed for and by other industries; however the successful implementation of these solutions requires domain knowledge.
This one day overview aims to:
- Provide an overview of the main players and current challenges
- Articulate the market opportunities
- Offer ways to engage with the sector
- Signpost next steps for those interested in developing prototypes and working with early adopters.
It would be of interest to:
- Technology developers who view agriculture or horticulture as a potential market for their innovation
- Researchers who are keen to forge better links with the industry, and want to understand how the sector (globally and in the UK) is structured and possible routes by which research outputs become adopted by end users
- New entrants to the industry, possibly (but not necessarily) early in their career, who want to understand more about the sector, possible skills opportunities, and where best their interests and expertise may be deployed.