Salary: £61,050 to £70,000
CD: 9 August 2019
As part of the senior management team, the successful candidate will contribute fully to the development of NIAB EMR’s strategy across all areas of the business. Reporting to the Managing Director, and based at East Malling, they will be responsible for guiding the overall scientific direction, development and management of the Genetics, Genomics and Breeding (GGB) department at NIAB EMR. This role will support, guide and encourage the senior scientists within the GGB department to develop relevant scientific areas that will promote innovation in perennial/rosaceae crop genetics research and breeding, attract funding, incentivise collaborations across NIAB Faculty, develop new commercial opportunities and enhance the reputation of NIAB EMR/NIAB. They will also deliver their own research programme. S/he will be an internationally recognised plant or crop researcher with a track record of publication in high quality journals, active participation in international research conferences and a substantial portfolio of competitively won research grants. They will have at least 5 years of experience in across-discipline scientific management and team working at a senior level. The essential requirements for this role are:
• A commercially astute, articulate, technically strong, dynamic, insightful and influential leader with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
• Track record in the development and delivery of research and services.
• High integrity and openness combined with commitment to science-based services and decision making.
• Exceptional communication skills at all levels.
• Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making
• Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.
• 10+ years’ experience of developing and delivering research programmes and services based on scientific research in perennial/fruit genetics or similar relevant area of science.
• PhD in relevant discipline
• Significant experience (5-10 years) in a senior scientific management role within a complex organisation working at a strategic and operational level.
• Track record of publication in relevant journals and of public presentations at high-profile conferences/to relevant stakeholders.
Additional desirable experience and skills include the following:
• A comprehensive understanding of the operation of funding bodies, and evidence of influencing the national and international science agenda.
The is based in East Malling with frequent travel within the UK and internationally. This is a permanent full-time position.
Starting salary is in the range of £61,050 to £70,000 per annum, dependent on qualifications, skills and experience. Further details and an application form are available on our website: http://www.niab.com/vacancies/index/ or from the HR Office, East Malling, Tel: 01732 523791, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org